No announcement yet.

Toolbox 2.0 feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got my Toolbox yesterday .. AMAZING module!!

Not sure what version came in the box - played with it before updating to 1.9.4 and now I cant seem to find the tempo ?

Also : A bug maybe? - it crashed while trying to change presets

EDIT - Found Tempo in 'Song' tab

Comment

How does one import MIDI files ?

Comment

Thanks, Asymetrik, for pointing out the location of the tempo in the Song tab. Whew! One suggestion on that tab: put the swing on the right side (next to its control knob), and add a "%" character (if there's room) to make it clear that is the swing amount.

I'm also having a bit of trouble controlling the individual sequence scene selections - perhaps because I'm not yet completely used to the control layout. It seems like things jump to #1 or #4 way too quickly.

More testing this weekend!

[ddg]

Comment

Thanks all for the feedback. MIDI import is currently broken and will be fixed soon.

Comment

obscure edit bug (and my reproduction steps):

Start with a blank sequence. Select a blank note sequence and hit info to edit it. Using the touch screen, enter one note. Then enter a second note, and the first one disappears.

Only happens on if the sequence is blank to start with (I have a preset called "000 EMPTY" that auto-loads...), and only seems to affect note sequences.

[ddg]

Comment

Using old version sequences is weird, because they used to just play - but now I have to tap on the sequences to make them play. I can see how this is a performance improvement, but it seems like the old way (everything plays when you hit play unless it is muted) could be better emulated when loading old files.

[ddg]

Comment

General feedback on the layering system:

I don't love the layer indication at the top level (the triangles in the corners), it would just be better to have a letter indicator overlaid on the cells (A/B/C/D), that way, it would be more clear.

Also, when in a piano roll or gate editor, it would be better to have the layer be available from a new drop down menu that would be next to the EDIT drop down and I would like to be able to see which layer I am on at all times (so it it said "Lyr: A", "Lyr: B" or something) - going into the info section to get to layers just feels weird.

Comment

Play indicators per-cell:

The white boxes as the indication of "playback" for an individual cell is really weird to me – if clicking on a cell is going to play it or not play it, that's fine but like bitbox where you get the little progress bar at the bottom of the cell to indicate play position, we need something like that for Toolbox instead of the white box - the master play indicator in the top right is not good enough since it can be really hard to see the white box on a cell that is playing and is also selected (purple).

Comment

Thank you all. More to come

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Version 1.9.7 is now available. The biggest improvement is the support for MIDI file import, including some files that wouldn't work in version 1.0.

Thank you for your support.

Comment

Hello, would really ejoy a pattern randomizer, and retriggering on steps, right? ? ? ? ?

Comment

1.9.7 is a really nice update - I like a lot of the tweaks, appreciate the fixes and the new features. I'm especially appreciating the tweaked scene selection, which makes it easier to choose a specific scene very easily.

Those playback displays are awesome, but could they be shrunk a few pixels to make the white 'playing' border appear around the entire cell? If this cell playback (press to play/unplay) is going to remain, the visual has to be significant - which means the white border around the whole thing. At least to me - bumping it up a pixel and in one pixel on each side would signify playback more strongly. Also, I notice that playing empty sequences don't show a play bar, but one is displayed in the top-right if it is playing-and-selected (even if empty).

Oh, and it may seem silly, but putting the % after the swing completely change my engagement with that!

[ddg]

Comment

AMAZING thank you Aaron

Comment

Song Mode:

What I was hoping for with song mode would be more of a Layer-to-Scene type of workflow so it would be easier to construct songs. The current implementation is so close in many ways but lacks a few things that would make it very fast to assemble songs faster than realtime recording. The idea would be to:
                              1. Make a bunch of sequences or LFO* settings on different layers (* I think there should be layers for the LFO settings) - very close to what the workflow was previous to 2.0 on Toolbox
                              2. Select a song section/scene, and have a new overview of a section/scene and what layers are assigned to the individual cells
                              3. Make it easy to change which layer is active/inactive per-scene by selecting a sequence cell and turning a knob.
                              In general, the Song section lacks any kind of overview of what is happening in the song, my proposal would be to have something like an overview of what is happening when different song sections are active instead of having to switch back to the main cell view. See the attached drawing for a better example.

I’ve watched some Blackbox demos and get that there is a real-time recording aspect to how you make layers/sequences active for a song section but I find it clunky and not the way I would think about constructing a song in a traditional sequencer or drum machine workflow.

Also, I have been digging more into the layering system and how it could/should work (IMHO) - I think it should be more clear which layer is active via a letter indicator on the top cell level (noted in a previous post) and I don’t think it makes sense for layers to be changed in the info page because doing so potentially changes a bunch of other sequence settings on the info pages (length, quantization, etc.) - instead layer selection should be change-able at the sequence editor level or at the top cell level (as it is currently at the top level). I also think that there should be more than 4 layers for composition and song mode purposes, 8 would be better than 4, and 16 would probably cover anything I would need.

Thanks for your consideration as always!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 9.23.41 AM.png
Views:	52
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	5823
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 9.23.49 AM.png
Views:	47
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	5824

Comment

I spent some time today wrapping my head around the song mode (not difficult unless you are coming from an MPC mindset...) and testing stuff out. I did very simple testing: in most cases, just doing 3 scenes on a single NOTE sequencer, and switching scenes to test the SONG operation.

Ran into some stuff that I don't get:

- When in song mode, what is LOOP mode vs. any other mode? What is supposed to loop?

- When I record something then CLEAR the segment, it seems like there is still stuff stuck in the segment. At the least, it seems to hold some form of 'segment length' or something.

- When I record something then CLEAR the segment, if I immediately go back to try recording the scene, the sequence won't play back (even though the white frame is 'on' for the sequence).

- When I hit STOP, what should happen for the sequence? Let's say I select scene 2 in the fourth bar, then hit STOP during the fourth bar, should I end up with a four bar segment that ends on scene 2?

I'll admit that I've got a lot of MPC procedure in my head when working with this, so please forgive me if I'm misguided!

[ddg]

Comment

Working...
                                X