Repurposing MIDI outputs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repurposing MIDI outputs

The Toolbox has four dedicated MIDI outputs. Unless I have a MIDI connection they just sit idle.

I think the standard voltage for MIDI is 3.3v but may go up to 5v (cannot confirm but read that somewhere).

Since MIDI in this case is an analog signal representing digital information, could the MIDI outputs be repurposed via software to be used for clock pulses? It would be neat to have up to four additional clocks for slaving external sequencers and gear.

I quite often use the LFO's set to square wave as additional clocks

Comment

Thanks for this request. The MIDI standard specifies 5V and a differential output. So, your request is a little harder to implement than it may seem. We will take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        I quite often use the LFO's set to square wave as additional clocks
        I do the same. If they can pull it off in software, then they've just added more value to the Toolbox. If it becomes possible to use them as clocks, I'd love to see a separate clocks page with sync sources and divisions/multiplications possible for each output... not to get ahead of myself... but if it makes it into a test dev environment keep it in mind.

Comment

Working...
        X